Welcome to TubeFlash – original flash fiction inspired by the London Underground and a fine collection of vintage and contemporary brooches. 90 stations have been paired with brooches, inspiring writers to create a diverse collection of stories spanning the London Underground network.
Read on to find out how we started out and extended to the outer reaches of the imagination.
- Writer who collects brooches
- An elegant Jewellery Dealer who does not look like an elephant or a castle
- Writing Group
- Web Designer
- Former BBC Studio Manager & Producer
- Actors and voiceover artists
- Long suffering and helpful Husband
- Passion & Patience & Persistence
- Take one writer/brooch-collector and one jewellery dealer having a chat about a fancy dress party where the theme was London Underground stations.
- Writer/brooch-collector has eureka! moment.
- Ferment a flash fiction story in writer/brooch collector’s head as she travels home on the Tube.
- A few weeks later mix in a group of writers getting-together in the pub.
- Add more stories, more stations, more brooches and a few dashes of creativity.
- Throw in enthusiastic web designer who declares anything is possible.
- Have moment of madness over cup of tea with former BBC Studio Manager & Producer and decide to record the stories.
- Writer/brooch-collector gets carried away and finds more brooches to go with more stations – some you probably didn’t know existed.
- Spread the net wider, call for submissions – even more writers, visit universities, advertise, tell everyone about TubeFlash.
- Receive loads of great writing, settle down for Big Read In with yet more cups of tea.
- Select and edit 91 TubeFlash stories, publish online.
- Find wonderful set of actors & voiceover artists to read stories, publish on iTunes.
- Invite everyone involved for tea and cake, bake them at 25oC in the garden, as a way of saying thank you.