Collier’s Wood, in South London on the Northern Line, opened in 1926, designed by Charles Holden. The name comes from charcoal burners who were associated with the area in the 16th century. Charcoal has many uses – as a fuel, to purify water, a remedy for various gastric complaints, an artist material. The brooch holds a miniature piece of coal. Coal replaced charcoal as the predominant industrial fuel in the 18th century.
Trivia Coal is mined in over a 100 countries.