On the Circle and District lines, St James’s Park opened in 1868. It is on the site of an ancient hospital dedicated to St James the Less. It was a swamp until 1532 when Henry VIII ordered it drained and made into a bowling green, tilt yard and breeding ground for deer. The brooch features a pair of Pelicans; the park is famous for its pod of pelicans.
Trivia Pelicans were first introduced in 1664 a gift from the Russian Ambassador.